Situated in the town of Oban, the distillery was established in 1794 by the Stevenson brothers, who were also involved in the development of the town. It was rebuilt in 1883 by Walter Higgin, and is now part of the Diageo Group.
The water comes from Loch Gleann A' Bhearraidh, and the malt produced here is mildy peated in flavour with a hint of the sea.
There are guided tours of the distillery and in the visitor centre there is an exhibition and audio-visual programme, which charts the history of Oban.
There is also a well-stocked shop. For more details contact the Oban Distillery Visitors Centre on +44 (0)1631 572004.